Town Hall History
Galway’s Town Hall Theatre, incorporating the state of the art 393-seater Main Auditorium and the 60-seater Studio Space at Courthouse Square, and the nearby, multi-purpose Black Box performance space on Dyke Road presents an extensive and eclectic mix of theatre, concerts, musicals, dance, film, comedy and family shows year-round - the venue is open 362 days a year and 15 hours a day on average. It attracts audiences well in excess of 100,000 annually (and over 1.5 million since it opened its doors in 1995!) making it the most successful theatre of its size in Ireland.
Each year, the venue is the epicentre of activity for virtually all of Galway’s key festivals and cultural events including Galway Arts Festival, Galway Film Fleadh, Cuirt and Baboro Children’s Festival to name but a few.
Acclaimed for consistently delivering the best of national and international talent year-round to Galway audiences, the venue's programme proudly features the work of many performers, companies, musical societies and arts organisations (both professional and amateur) from across the city and county.
The building which houses the Town Hall Theatre was erected in the 1820's and served first as a Courthouse and later as a conventional Town Hall. In the 1950's, the building was converted into a cinema and was used for film screenings until it fell into disrepair in the 1990's. Galway Corporation (now Galway City Council), with the assistance of a grant from the Department of Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht, undertook a major refurbishment of the building between 1993 and 1995 and it re-opened as a state of the art, 393 seat Municipal Theatre in October 1995. The Theatre is situated in the centre of Galway and features a fine portico overlooking the newly renovated Courthouse Square and a bar/cafe in the upper foyer.